Search Results for: jesse owens
A quick glance at the calendar will reveal that I’m a bit late in pulling the “Welcome to August” trigger, but better late than September. So let me be the last to welcome you to the eighth month of the year. (And as the eighth month, shouldn’t it be called Octo-ber? The answer is yes. […]
Leave a comment | tags: barack obama, beatles, don juan, george harrison, harry warner, jazz singer, lucille ball, paul mccartney, sam warner, silent films, warner bros. studios, wild bill hickok, wings | posted in Polaroids From the Old and New West
If you had to choose just one day from the entire history of American sports to crown as the most memorable ever, a few come immediately to mind. There’s October 8, 1956, of course, when Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game ever to happen in the World Series. February 22, 1980 also enters into […]
One of the things that I love most about the Santa Clarita Valley is its double-layered Old West heritage – double-layered because it was not only the place where the events most associated with the Old West took place, but where those same happenings were later portrayed to the rest of the world in thousands […]
“Modern Times” Monument – Paid in Full!After much hard work, our fundraising efforts for the "Modern Times" monument have finally paid off! Thanks to your generosity, we have fully paid off the beautiful black marble marker created by the talented Charles and Maria Sotelo, owners of High Desert Monuments in Hesperia, California. The Sotelos donated 100% of the labor required to create the beautiful black marble monument, and took it on faith that the money to pay for the materials would somehow materialize. Thank you all for your support and contributions to help pay these kind people for their belief in us! We are continuing our fundraising efforts to pay for the stand that will house the marker on Sierra Highway. We will post fundraising events as they come about. Again, thank you all for your support, and Maria and Charlie Sotelo for their patience and passion for film entertainment history!
Click here to get my blog on Kindle:
To purchase my book, “Images of America: Early Warner Bros. Studios,” click here:
Search My Site
The Santa Clarita Valley Guide – Everything Happening in Santa Clarita:
- At the Birth of a Legend, Part 2
- At the Birth of a Legend
- A New Birth of Freedom
- M*A*S*H Today
- The Shy Stooge
- Occupy Chuck
- Post-“Modern Times”
- The Day Movies Learned to Speak
- July Stories
- Howard the Odd Duck
- Carnival of Souls
- Michael and Farrah in the Santa Clarita Valley
- I Predict He’ll Be a Big Star
- The Big Man and The Boss
- Down the Road to Eternity, Part 3
- Down the Road to Eternity, Part 2
- Down the Road to Eternity, Part 1
- "Be-Bop-A-Newhall," Part 2
- "Be-Bop-A-Newhall," Part 1
- President Lincoln delivers Gettysburg Address March 10, 2010On November 19, 1863, at the dedication of a military cemetery at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, during the American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln delivers one of the most memorable speeches in American history. In fewer than 275 words, Lincoln brilliantly and movingly reminded a war-weary public ...
- Soviets launch counterattack at Stalingrad February 9, 2010The Soviet Red Army under General Georgi Zhukov launches Operation Uranus, the great Soviet counteroffensive that turned the tide in the Battle of Stalingrad. On June 22, 1941, despite the terms of the Nazi-Soviet Pact of 1939, Nazi Germany launched a massive invasion against the USSR. Aided by its ...
- Soccer legend Pelé scores 1,000th goal February 9, 2010Brazilian soccer great Pele scores his 1,000th professional goal in a game, against Vasco da Gama in Rio de Janeiro’s Maracana stadium. It was a major milestone in an illustrious career that included three World Cup championships. Pele, considered one of the greatest soccer players ever to take the ...
- An arrest warrant is issued for Michael Jackson November 13, 2009Rumors had swirled around Michael Jackson since the first public allegations of sexual misconduct with a minor child were aired amidst a 1993 civil lawsuit that was eventually settled out of court. A decade later, on November 19, 2003, an embattled Jackson prepared to face criminal charges of a ...
- “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” opens in theaters November 13, 2009One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, a film about a group of patients at a mental institution, opens in theaters. Directed by Milos Forman and based on a 1962 novel of the same name by Ken Kesey, the film starred Jack Nicholson and was co-produced by the actor Michael Douglas. One Flew Over the ...
- Patty Hearst out on bail November 13, 2009Patricia Campbell Hearst, a granddaughter of the legendary publishing magnate William Randolph Hearst, is released on bail pending the appeal of her conviction for participating in a 1974 San Francisco bank robbery that was caught on camera. Hearst’s ordeal began on the night of February 4, 1974, ...
- Reagan and Gorbachev hold their first summit meeting November 13, 2009For the first time in eight years, the leaders of the Soviet Union and the United States hold a summit conference. Meeting in Geneva, President Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev produced no earth-shattering agreements. However, the meeting boded well for the future, as the two men ...
- President Lincoln delivers Gettysburg Address March 10, 2010
Tagsabraham lincoln academy awards assassination baseball baseball hall of fame beatles broncho billy anderson buddy holly cemetery chaplinfest charlie chaplin cholame civil war clark gable cowboy festival d.w. griffith douglas fairbanks early warner bros. studios ed sullivan ed wood elvis presley essanay studios eternal valley cemetery forest lawn cemetery forest lawn hollywood hills gene autry gene vincent george harrison ghosts grave graveyards gunsmoke haunted hollywood hollywood forever cemetery hollywood walk of fame james dean james dean crash jfk john lennon john wayne ken kesey keystone studios leonard maltin mack sennett marilyn monroe mary pickford melissa fitzgerald melody ranch michael jackson modern times newhall Newhallywood one flew over the cuckoo's nest paul mccartney pearl harbor plan nine from outer space ramona rock and roll hall of fame rudolph valentino santa clarita santa clarita valley silent films star trek steven spielberg suicide tor johnson u.s. presidents vampira vasquez rocks walt disney warner bros. warner bros. studios westerns william s. hart